The anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks has become a very important National Day of Service in America, known as “9/11 Day”
9/11 Day is a time when Americans are asked to join together in unity, remember those lost on 9/11, and if possible, perform good deeds or other acts of service as a positive tribute to the 9/11 victims, as well as first responders and military personnel who rose in service in response to the attacks.
Below is a list of 11 good deeds you can do to participate in 9/11 Day of Service in San Diego either from home or in-person. All opportunities can be found on our 9/11 Day of Service resource page.
- Help sort and load boxes of meals for unsheltered homeless individuals on the streets with the Lucky Duck Foundation in Miramar or Chula Vista.
- Make cards for individuals who have been isolated throughout the pandemic. St. Paul’s Senior Services and Serving Seniors are collecting cards for seniors in their care. Jewish Family Service of San Diego is collecting cards for residents in Skilled Nursing Facilities.
- Support Auntie Helen’s Charity Thrift’s programs for individuals with low incomes or underlying health conditions by sorting, folding, hanging, and disbursing organizations at their thrift store in North Park.
- Sign up to volunteer with USO San Diego to provide much needed services to members of the military and their families.
- Donate items to a nonprofit organization working to meet the increased demand for services during the pandemic.
- Promote literacy virtually through one of Words Alive’s many volunteer opportunities, including translating their materials, hosting a book drive, and recording a video of yourself reading a children’s story.
- Refurbish computers with Computers 2 Kids to increase access technology for distance learning students .
- Share your skills with PATH San Diego from the comfort of your home. They’re looking for volunteers to help virtually with data entry, social media, and specific research projects. Your support will help them work toward ending homelessness.
- Assist Father Joe’s Villages or Catholic Charities, Diocese of San Diego at one of their drive-thru food distributions, providing food security for San Diegans throughout the County.
- Aid in the San Diego River Park Foundation’s conservation efforts by participating in one of their many remote volunteer opportunities such as building a bat house, illustrating the ecology of Boulder Creek Preserve, or helping sort and categorize photos from their wildlife cameras.
- Make an appointment to donate blood with the San Diego Blood Bank or the American Red Cross of San Diego and Imperial Counties.
Share your 9/11 good deed on social media. Include the hashtags #handsonsandiego and #911day.
Did you know HandsOn San Diego helps thousands of volunteers connect with the organizations that need them year-round? Find a project that aligns with your passions and schedule on our online calendar.